What do Teaching IOM and Learning IOM cover?
The new Third Edition, by Anita Finkelman, MSN, RN, and Carole Kenner, PhD, RNC-NIC, NNP, FAAN, covers IOM’s five core competencies for all healthcare professionals – patient-centered care, interprofessional teamwork, evidence-based practice, quality improvement, informatics utilization. The authors offer new and re-invigorated insights and ideas on why and how to understand the IOM reports and their recommendations as a body of work to better integrate them into nursing education.
Among the topics covered in the Teaching IOM edition are:
- Summaries and analyses of nine more reports from 2008–2011 (including The Future of Nursing) and the implications for education, professional development, and practice
- A more detailed discussion of critical nursing education issues in the light of 39 key IOM titles and other reports, including the AACN 2010 Essentials report on master’s-level and doctoral education, and the Carnegie Foundation’s 2010 Educating Nurses: A Call for Radical Transformation, which emphasizes student engagement and moving away from lecture-driven education
- Examining the connections between the IOM reports and ANA’s current nursing scope and standards, the Code of Ethics for Nurses, and National Database of Nursing Quality Indicators (NDNQI) program
- Expanded instructional presentations and resources:
- Over 40 new instructional modules and strategies focused on a variety of quality topics
- Updated presentations on evidence-based practice, transforming care at the bedside (TCAB), healthcare literacy, and other quality, safety, and workplace issues
- Sample quizzes, exams, and discussion and essay topics
- Print and online resources for a thorough grounding in the literature
And the most notable change: Teaching IOM now has a companion publication. Titled Learning IOM, this AJN Book of the Year award-winning title is an adaptation of the main text for upper-level undergraduate and graduate students and for nurse practitioners pursuing continuing education and other professional development.